Thursday, January 19, 2006

Word of the Day: Applique


I spent Cole's nap time at my favorite online fabric store, and bumped into a little "How To" section. They had a pretty straightforward explanation of an Applique, including templates of the alphabet. It looked and seemed easy and it's been something I've been wanting to try for a little while.

As luck would have it, I am finally making a tote for myself, and though I planned to embroider a monogram in it, I hadn't made it that far. So this seemed the perfect opportunity to try out something new! And I got all the fabric for my little tote on mega-clearance, so if it all went sour, I was only going to be out $5.

Actually it was fairly easy. The turns on my "S" were a little hard to manage, so I'll fix that by hand. But for my very first effort I have to say I'm quite happy and now have endless ideas of things I can (and will) applique! I am already looking forward to practicing it more.

This sewing machine has been such a blessing, as silly as that may sound to some. I admit, being a stay-at-home mom who sews all day long was not exactly what I had in mind when I left work. But it is truly a joy. It's something that keeps me always thinking of something new to make, and has challenged me to learn about something I literally knew nothing about. I'm so grateful Kevin was willing to make the investment.

2 comments:

Quiet & Quirky said...

So, what is the difference between applique and monogramming with the machine? It looks good, that is for sure. Kinda funny how the things we think we won't like, we do and then, vice versa....

Anonymous said...

Looks good.