Sunday, May 24, 2009

40 & 60

This is a really special year for Mom & Dad. They each turn 60 this year and they are also celebrating their 40th anniversary. Because it is such a big deal, all of us kids agreed that we should do something special.

We decided on a surprise party. Not just any surprise party, though. Our story to get them there was that this was actually a surprise party for Carine who is turning 35 this year. The fact that they were slightly "in" on it, was very helpful since I had to borrow most of the party equipment from Mom. Someday I'll have my own grown-up supply of fancy table-clothes, punch bowels, and dishes for literally every occassion. For the time being, though, I had nothing and it was great to not have to sneak into their house and literally steal things. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but I also found that I am quite a prolific liar. And not just well-thought-out-ahead-of-time lies, but also those real spur-of-the-moment zingers.

It was so fun putting this together. We blew up a picture and put it on the fence to give it away that the party was actually for them. Chris collected pictures and quotes from the grand kids and put together a really special book from the grandchildren.

All 4 of us kids had a chance to say something to them, and it was a special and tender time. I'm so thankful to have them as parents, and that my kids have them as grandparents.



No comments: