Fletcher called Kevin and told him about this amazing blueberry farm about 35 minutes from the mountain house one week and it was perfect timing as we had just run out of blueberries.
Ok, we had not. But it seemed like a good a reason as any to make a weekend getaway. The drive made us wonder where in the world this place could be, but we followed the signs and lo and behold there it was. We parked, picked up our buckets and watched the rain start to pour down. Fortunately they had a beautiful large, open shed for us to wait in and we passed time playing some Uno. It soon became clear that it wasn't going to stop raining anytime soon, but since there was no thunder or lightening on the horizen, we grabbed our umbrella's and went for it.
The kids had an absolute blast and were excellent pickers. Cole was on a mission to find the worlds largest blueberry. Adison was too -- except when she found what she thought might be the largest one, she would eat it. We picked and picked and picked until it stopped raining. I didn't realize how much we had until she weighed it out and we put it in baggies and we registered about 6 quarts. For $8.00. Total.
We snapped some pictures in action, including a self-portrait as I often am behind the camera and worry if for some horrible reason I am no longer here, my children will have no idea what their mother looked like. After I mentioned that little tidbit, Kevin gladly snapped a few of me and the kids.
This was such an amazing day. We finished it by stopping at a pizza joint in town and having a delicious and filling lunch.
What better thing to do the morning after blueberry picking than make pancakes, and that we did. I'm telling you, these mountain blueberries are the juiciest, most fragrant and flavorful thing I have ever tasted. We will not be buying blueberries at the store next year, I've already got blueberry season marked off on my calendar.
No comments:
Post a Comment