Saturday, October 11, 2008

Disney





Sometime in August I was doing my daily chat with my good friend Dana and we were talking about her family trip down to Orlando to go to Disney. The more we talked, the more I thought about how fun it sounded.

So I did what any normal person would do, I invited myself.

Faster than you can say Mickey Mou--Dana's mom had booked me a condo and it was set. The kids and I were driving 12 hours down to Orlando to meet up with Dana and all of her family.

If you're thinking right now that it sounds like a lot to drive 2 kids down to Disney by yourself, you're right. But the back story is Dana and I went to Disney together when she turned 16 and I couldn't resist the idea of re-creating that trip with our own children.


It was a full trip. We saw Hollywood Studios Sunday(where Cole was fascinated by a "scary ride" that had a flashing yellow light. Not scary enough to keep him from going twice, though...) We also visited the Honey I Shrunk The Kids playground that Dana and I went to over 15 years ago. That could have been the scariest part of the whole trip. That thing was a series of slides and tunnels and I swear I thought I had lost my kids (seriously) at least 3 times. The kids loved it though.
Dana's mom watched the kids while I went on a ride with the other adults: Tower of Terror where you sit in an elevator that drops I don't know how many stories. Probably the most fun I've had in a long time...I miss amusement park rides.

Monday was Animal Kingdom. I have to say the most amazing part of Animal Kingdom was the Safari. Truly truly amazing. Animals right there in front of you, and Cole and Adison were really awe-struck.

Tuesday was Magic Kingdom, my personal favorite. So many rides! I think Cole really is a speed junkie because he really liked the faster rides. Teacups, Peter Pan, Goofy's Barnstormer just to name a few. We met Mickey and Adison was thrilled (which is surprising since she doesn't really know who he is or watch him on TV). She told me in line she was going to hug Mickey, and she did! It was so cute.

As you can imagine, at the end of the trip we were all exhausted. We got up at 3:30am and drove straight home. If you're thinking this post is pretty condensed, it's because I'm still exhausted. :)

I didn't have near the amount of hang-out time I wanted with Dana, but it was fun to re-visit Disney together and see our kids laugh and go on rides together and it was very nice to see all of her family again. Growing up, if I wasn't at my house, I was at Dana's house and it's always such a treat to be able to see her parents and David.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So fun! We are huge Disney fans and would go back in a heartbeat:)