Thursday, September 27, 2007

Gentle Reminder

This month has been a stressful one for me, not for one particular reason, but for tons of those little nagging things that suddenly add up to one huge breaking point. So this morning, when Cole opened up his toy closet in the family room and found it flooded with water we soon discovered that the laundry room was flooded, the toilet was flooded, and the culprit was a faulty pipe in the front yard. A few hours and a few hundred dollars later, it is fixed.

As I sat at the table and tried to gather my thoughts this morning, and prayed for peace, patience, and not to take out my frustrations on everyone else the Lord brought to mind a hymn to calm me down.

I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord;
No tender voice like Thine can peace afford.

I need Thee, O I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee;
O bless me now, my Savior,
I come to Thee.

I need Thee every hour, stay Thou nearby;
Temptations lose their power when Thou art nigh.

I need Thee every hour, in joy or pain;
Come quickly and abide, or life is in vain.

I need Thee every hour; teach me Thy will;
And Thy rich promises in me fulfill.


I need Thee every hour, most Holy One;
O make me Thine indeed, Thou blessèd Son.

I just love hymns, and in fact I think I'll clean off the top of my piano today. :) It all served as a reminder today that we should expect the unexpected in life, and I'm thankful for the power and peace of prayer and the nearness of a Savior to go to for what is, in essence, pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

3 comments:

Quiet & Quirky said...

Thank you for the reminder Sarah. Truly, we need HIm every hour...every moment....
Chris

Unknown said...

I love that hymn. I'm so glad it came to mind in your time of need. I'm sorry to hear about the water issue!!!!

Emily Roten said...

FYI - Jars of Clay does a cool version of that hymn - I looked it up on Itunes, and then promptly added it to my playlist. It is such an encouraging hymn, thanks for bringing it to mind again sister! Have a good day!